August 23, 2012

A New K.I.S.S.

It has been 630 days since I wrote a blog.  Previous to that I wrote monthly for more than five years, sharing wisdom from my experiences.  That December 2010 post identified from trends what 2015 might look like. Keep me accountable until then, but rather than start a new blog, I have chosen to publish under the same Wilkins Wisdom heading of The Wisdom Of.......The only change will be the regularity, rather than monthly I will publish when I have a subject to share.   Please share with your friends as you desire.


We are familiar with the advice of K.I.S.S. such as “keep it short and simple” or even the more common “keep it simple stupid”.  I propose a new K.I.S.S. that is applicable to all of life’s situations as a thought structure.  Acronyms are great pneumonic devices so the K.I.S.S. provides the structure to remember.  Your work life, personal life, or even spiritual life can gain from using the new K.I.S.S. methodology.
K stand for Keep, as in keep doing it, whatever it is just keep doing the same thing in the same way.  I stands for Improve, as in find ways to improve what you are doing.  The first S stands for Stop, as in stop doing what you have been doing.  The second S stands for Start, as in start doing something you were not previously doing.  As you can see, the steps apply to any situation being analyzed.

Critical thinking skills vary from person to person but most adults arrive at solutions when problems are presented.  The better solutions are the most efficient, produce the desired results the quickest, and improve the life of those that seek them.  Write down a problem or gap that relates to your area of work.  Then work through the four questions that come from the K.I.S.S. method. 1) Should I just keep doing the same thing in the same way? 2) If not, is there a way I can do the same thing in a different way that is better? 3) Should I stop doing what I was doing, and if so what are the ramifications? 4) Should I start doing something in addition to what has been done to positively affect the item that was written down as a problem or gap?  K.I.S.S. = Keep/Improve/Stop/Start

Write down what you determined by going through the steps, then read it and consider the time period for implementing your solution.  Now try the system out on something from a relationship or other area of your personal life.  Work through the same steps after writing down what you were seeking a solution to.  Writing things down is part of the plan of success in this method.  There may be multiple entries for one or more of the steps in the process, but focus on the biggest ones.

Implementing steps other than K requires a timeline for achievement.  When will the improvements, stopping or starting take place?  Who will make the changes? How will it happen?  Write the when, who, and how under the planned change.  If it involves anyone besides yourself you have the responsibility of convincing them why it is a better way.  The written notes will be important if this is needed. Adjustments to planned activities may need to take place from their input.

I mentioned earlier this could apply to all areas of life.  Think of any area and challenge that statement.  Goal = I wish to be closer to God.  The process will walk you through activity or the lack of activity causing it.  Goal = I wish my marriage was stronger.  The process will walk you and your spouse though the activities or lack thereof in your marriage.  Goal = I wish my employees performed better.  Goal = I wish our sales volume was higher.  Goal = I wish my taxes were lower.  Give it a try.

No comments: